Feature community partner: Sacraspice
Dreaming about sunny beaches, blue skies, and the tastes of the tropics? Ring in the tastes and smells of the islands with these jerk black bean filled plantain cups. We’re just a couple weeks away from Caribana in Toronto and we’ve teamed up with local food charity, Sacraspice, to share this new spin on the indispensable ingredient from the West Indies. Read on below for this nutritious, tasty, vegan appetizer that will surely leave you with an itch for island fever.
Let’s start with choosing the right plantain for your dish! According to the photo below, a half-ripe plantain is the 2nd one from the left.
- 4 half-ripe plantains
- 2 cups of black beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 mango
- 1 lime
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Jerk spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
Let’s get the prepping going:
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F
- Make the jerk spice blend. Combine all of the spices together
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide skillet. Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add the black beans to the skillet, followed by the zest and juice of the lime, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and jerk spice blend. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the beans get soft and absorb the flavours. Place the beans in a bowl and reserve.
- Cut the red pepper, mango, and avocado into a small dice (3mm by 3mm)
- Finely chop the cilantro
Now for the plantain slices:
- Remove the skin on the plantain with a paring knife. Use a mandolin to slice the plantain into strips on the thinnest setting (between 1.5mm and 2mm).
- Lay out the plantain slices on a tray.
Let’s aim for the oven:
- Grease a muffin pan with oil. Fill 12 muffin cups with 4-6 slices of plantain. Place the plantain in the preheated oven and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the plantain gets golden.
- Remove the plantain from the oven and let cool for a few minute. Then use a butter knife to remove the plantain cups from the pan.
- Fill each plantain cups with the black bean mixture, then top with red peppers, avocado, mango and cilantro
- Serve alongside sliced lime and enjoy!
Hungry for some Caribbean food? We got chu.
Sacraspice will be serving a spin-off of these vegan Caribbean appetizers at their upcoming Pedestrian Sunday pop-up at Kensington Market this Sunday, July 29th from 1-3pm. Click here for more information!